1. Thank you to the families from the Vianney Mission who organised an hour of prayer for priests at St Mary’s on Saturday morning. At their initiative, the prayers were offered in particular for the intentions of Fr de Malleray, FSSP. What a wonderful testimony of faith in the power of prayer, and what a timely assistance to clergy, to obtain from God their sanctification. Please support our weekly Saturday adoration 10am-12noon.
2. Well done our young adults! We were 13 at our first gathering on Saturday 23rd April at St Mary’s Priory, with an almost equal number of young men and young women. Some arrived on time to attend part of the Eucharistic Adoration and the Holy Mass following; while others joined us for the pizza and pavlova (thank you Kirsty for cooking for us!) a fitting dessert to celebrate the birthday of one of the participants. After a talk on “Truths, opinions, illusions and lies”, coffee followed, with questions and answers. We hope to meet monthly.
3. What time do you favour for a Corpus Christi Procession on Sunday 29th May?
a) Right after 11am Mass ; b) soon after picnic, e.g. 2pm ; c) mid afternoon: 3pm
Fr Dave Heywood supports the idea. More people from other parishes are likely to attend if the procession begins at 3pm, or not earlier than 2pm. For a first try, if we walk around the block down Smith Street and right, and right again into Buttermarket Street, the procession would last about half an hour.
4. Picnic for families at St Mary’s on Thursday 28th April after 12:10pm Mass, followed by a spiritual talk by Marcus Williams, FSSP. All families welcome (please bring your own lunch). Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Bookstall: would you like to be involved in running this? It could begin small with cards, rosary beads and a few pamphlets. But there is scope for much more, including good books and DVDs, missals, good religious art. Please give your suggestions and offers.
6. Walking Day: On Friday 1st July we are invited as a church community to take part in Warrington’s annual Walking Day. For those of you new to the Shrine, this is a long-standing tradition in the town, which St Mary’s has been a part of for much of its history.
7. Blessed James Bell’s feast last Wednesday! The anniversary of the martyrdom of Warrington-born Fr James Bell on 20th April 1584 fell last Wednesday. The 12:10pm Mass was offered in memory of him and to ask for his intercession on every soul in Warrington. Prayer cards have been printed to commemorate our local martyr. Take a look at his stained-glass window, the first on your right as you walk into the church.
8. Explanation of the Prayers of the Mass: The series of talks by Fr de Malleray resumed last Wednesday and was attended by 6 persons. Feel welcome to suggest a more convenient day and time for the next talk.
9. Nigeria Lenten Campaign now ended. If there are any outstanding sponsorship amounts, please can you send them in as soon as possible so we can finalise the amount to send.
10. The most famous step-ladder in Cheshire! A picture and description of St Mary’s new bespoke altar step-ladder was posted on our FSSP England Facebook page. Within three days, this information reached nearly 14,000 people! See it via our website: http://www.stmaryswarrington.org.uk/.
11. Holy Water is available in the large clay container on the floor behind the screen in the Memorial Chapel. Feel welcome to fill empty bottles and take them home for private use. According to the traditional Ritual, that water is not only blessed but actually exorcised and mingled with exorcised salt, so that its power as a sacramental is stronger.
12. In two weeks, on Sunday 8th May, Chris Gehrke our new Finance Stewardship Officer, will give a presentation of the financial situation and prospect for St Mary’s Shrine.
13. Make your prayer for Vocations even more powerful via our 5,000-strong international Vocations Prayer Network, the Confraternity of St Peter: www.fssp.org/en/confraternite.htm (see Fact Sheet at the back of the church). Please visit our new Vocations webpage on: www.fssp.co.uk
14. Fr Dave Heywood and Fr de Malleray have discussed options for a joint one-day pilgrimage in the coming months: Holywell in North Wales; Ladywell Shrine near Preston; York. Please tell us your suggestions.
15. Concert at St Mary’s on Saturday 14th May at 7:30pm: the Warrington Choral Society conducted by Michael Wynne will sing JS Bach's Magnificat and cantatas. £10, concessions £7/£5, under-16s free.